What are the biggest environmental issues we face? Pollution? Climate change? True. But among these environmental topics, feeding the growing population, 9 billion in 2050, is one of the most pressing issues we have to find a solution for.
To solve this problem, we need people to gain knowledge, do research, and explore the options. You can be a piece of the puzzle, help find a solution, and start now by gaining knowledge about food production systems, food security, sustainable development in agriculture and livestock, and systems thinking.
More online courses: University of Adelaide Free Online Courses 2021.
- Country : Netherlands
- University: Wageningen
- Course Level: certificate
- Mode of study: Oline
- Application Mode: Online
- Eligible countries: All nationalities
- Language: English
Three course modules.
1.The value of systems thinking
Learn about systems thinking and its application to improve the environmental sustainability of food production systems. The main topics are:
- Complexity and diversity of food production systems
- Principles of system analysis
- Evaluation methods for the environmental impact of food production systems
- Strong and weak points of different food production systems
Learn the basics of crop production to feed the world and preserve our planet’s resources. The main topics are:
- Basic concept of plant production
- Issues related to global food production and consumption
- Influences of water (scarcity and availability) and other measures on crop production
- Processes that cause major problems for the environment
- Measures to solve and prevent those problems
Learn about the basics of food access decision-making from a multilevel perspective. The main topics are:
- The basic principles of food access
- Choices influencing food access
- Dilemmas at household, local, national and international levels
Course structures and certificates
The duration of each course (or MOOC: Massive Open Online Course) is flexible: study any time and place you want. You decide how to spend your time during a course. Gain the knowledge offered in each course free of charge through dynamic modules filled with video, syllabus, and assignments for practice and grading. Obtain your verified certificate for $ 49,- each. After successful completion of all 3 courses, you can obtain an overall certificate.
About course dates
EdX keeps courses available, even if the recent course date has expired. Enroll nonetheless, and allow yourself to explore content and continue learning. However, not all features and materials may be available.
To apply vist the Environmental Studies XSeries website.
Picture credit: Environmental Studies XSeries, developed by Wageningen University